Light and Heat, Truth and Zeal

God is glorified not only by His glory's being seen, but by its being rejoiced in. When those that see it delight in it, God is more glorified than if they only see it... He that testifies his having an idea of God's glory [doesn't] glorify God so much as he that testifies also his approbation of it and his delight in it (Jonathan Edwards, Miscellany #448).

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bob Kauflin on Worship Songs


Bob Kauflin of the Worship Matters blog on why we write worship songs:

"If I'm a songwriter, I need to remember that while music is important, in the end truth outlasts tunes. A catchy melody can be a distraction unless it helps implant God's truth in people's hearts.

If I'm a song leader I need to remember that music is meant to direct people's attention to the lyrics. My song choices should be made more on the basis of theology and theme than tempo and key.

If I'm pastor, I need to make sure my church is singing songs that enable them to feed richly on the Word of Christ. It's part of my responsibility in shepherding the flock of God.

If I'm a worshipper of God, I need to remember that music may move me emotionally, but truth can change me eternally. I want to do everything I can to meditate on the riches of God's Word when I sing to feed my soul, and not simply see it as a time when I express my own thoughts and feelings.

Of course, expressing our thoughts to God as we worship Him is right and good. Part of the dynamic of worshipping God is giving to God and receiving from Him, speaking to Him and listening for His voice. But our feelings and expressions are only reliable and true as they're rooted in who God is, what He's done, and what He's said to us."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home